Post Title: Clerk of Works/NEC Supervisor
Day Rate: 275 – 325 depending on experience
Hours: 8am – 4pm, 3-4 days/week
Location: Currently Herts, Beds, Cambridge, Bucks (potentially nationwide)
Type of Engagement: Immediate Start. For the right self-employed contractor this position will be a long-term assignment. Potentially this could lead to an employed position.
Who are we?
Blu Building Consultants are a forward thinking multi-disciplinary consultancy, who are looking to add a Clerk of Works to their team. This is an excellent opportunity to join a well-established and recognised consultancy who pride themselves on their professional integrity, technical expertise, and reliable service and is built on a friendly, inclusive team which strives to support one another.
Blu Building Consultants excel in creating high-performing facilities. We specialise in the health sector’s built environment and our approach produces pleasant and functional facilities that improve patient comfort and help healthcare providers attract and retain staff. We are committed to improving the performance of estates in the public and private sectors, through acquisition, partnering, construction management and contracts, working with individual NHS trusts and private healthcare providers across the UK.
You will have at least 10 years’ experience in a construction role – Clerk of Works, NEC Supervisory and other relevant professionals such as Site managers, Building Control Inspectors, Building Warranty Inspectors etc are welcomed.
You will need to hold a Higher National Certificate or equivalent qualifications, and membership (or be working towards) with a professional body like ICWCI, MCIOB, ICE.
Knowledge of H&S Legislation, CDM 2015, construction technology and regulations are a must.
You must hold a valid CSCS card, your own transport and have a clean driving licence.
- Preferably, Qualified (MICW) – Preferably, NEC Supervisor, who is used to working with NEC Form of contracts
- Experience of writing professional reports to a high standard
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent up to date technical knowledge Experience of working on builds – 200k – 25m
- Take pride in your work and ensure it reflects our company image and expectations
- Valid Enhanced DBS Certificate or willingness to acquire one is essential.
- To oversee Contractors works on site and undertake the duties of Clerk of Works or NEC Supervisor.
- To inspect the ongoing and completed works on site, comparing it with drawings and
- To carry out a variety of property inspections and the estates in which they are located,
including pre & post works inspections, condition surveys etc. and manage as necessary
works to bring the property or estate to acceptable standards in accordance with
Specifications and Contract documents.
- Inspecting the work on site and comparing it with drawings and specifications. Inspections
could be at heights or underground and may include specialised aspects of construction.
- Measuring and sampling building materials to check their quality – identify any defects and
suggest ways to correct them.
- Monitoring and reporting on progress to construction managers, architects and clients.
- Attend appropriate site and design meetings.
- Checking the standards, building regulations, health and safety and legal requirements are
- Monitoring and reporting on progress to construction managers, architects, and clients.
- Work in conjunction with operational teams to agree variations as well as suggesting and
assisting the implementation of safer and more efficient ways of working.
- Work alongside architects and designers to ensure the buildability of projects ensuring future
maintenance issues are mitigated at both design and constructive stages.
- To take individual responsibility for all Health and Safety requirements of operating the
service and ensure Health and Safety regulations are fully complied with including CDM
regulations on all projects and work streams.
- All employees have a responsibility to undertake training and development as required. They
also have a responsibility to assist, where appropriate and necessary, with the training and
development of fellow employees.
- The above list is not exhaustive and other duties may arise from time to time. Variation may
also occur to the duties and responsibilities without changing the general character of the
- You are expected to have a flexible approach to your working hours which may include
attending some out of hours meetings.